SABS Community Outreach & Volunteering
SABS meets its not-for-profit responsibilities to the community through a number of venues, all of which involve personal ornamentation. Over the past few years, SABS members have made significant contributions of time and jewelry for the benefit of:
- The San Antonio Food Bank, through food/fundraising auctions at the annual bazaar and through donations of jewelry for the organization’s annual Harvest of Hope benefit auction.
- Project Prom, an annual event during which young men and women in foster care are outfitted with proper prom attire, including jewelry donated by our members in advance and made on the spot to complete a “look.”
Why do we do this?
The reasons are many. For most, it gives a feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment to learn a new skill or improve upon an old one and to create a piece of wearable art. It is heart-warming to help young women embellish themselves with pride and enjoy their prom. And it is a huge amount of fun to share our experience (or inexperience) with our fellow members and learn from each other.
To see current list of volunteer activities please check the “Events page” and News for details.
Previous causes/organizations supported:
- San Antonio Food Bank Harvest of Hope
- Bead it Forward
- Pause for Paws
- Morgan’s Wonderland
- Greyhound Rescue
- Junior Achievement
- Texas Foundation of Hope
- WINGS (Women Involved in Nurturing, Giving, Sharing) – provides support to uninsured women who have been diagnosed or are recovering from breast cancer.
- Texas Foundation of Hope – this non-profit provides a full-time worksite for special needs adults. They create suncatchers and crosses and have provided their products to over 50 stores. They were also the recipient of our bead jar contents.
- Texas Guide dogs for the blind